Thursday, August 21, 2014

Clearing out the headspace



Chepachet, RI is a real place, and the farm that Nina owns in Hell’s Belle is based on a real one -- it belonged to my grandfather’s family.  

Although that farm was long gone, I spent many weekends in Chepachet as a kid. We’d visit the cemetery that holds the family remains or his oldest friend Henry (nothing like an old Yankee farmer). Then we’d get penny candy at Brown & Hopkins (America’s oldest country store in continuous operation). 

I love to take my daughter to Chepachet so she can see where part of the family is from and soak up that country air. Over the weekend, I had my first trip to Pulaski Park in about 30 years. Pulaski Park is a "day use" recreation facility (i.e. no camping) that is part of the larger (4000 acres) George Washington Management area. The park boasts are hiking trails, picnic areas and swimming in Peck Pond.

My kid and I had a terrific hike (and saw a beaver dam). Then we splashed around in the ice cold swimming hole. We had lunch at the Tavern on Main (i.e. Stage Coach Tavern, built in the early 1700s), and did a little antiquing. 

It was an awesome day. And I walked away with some ideas for book three, which I really need to get cracking on.

No comments:

Post a Comment