Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Author Interview: Angela Dennis

Angela Dennis joins the old blog today to talk about her new book Fading Light. We discuss Shadow Bearers, how 'what ifs' inspired some serious world building, and her love for Guardians of the Galaxy. Read on!

Tell me about Fading Light.

Fading Light is the continuation of the Shadow Born Series. It takes place a few months after Shadows of Fate ends. Brenna and Gray return to the Earthly plane and are forced to come to terms with the truth about one another. This is made even more difficult because the human population of Denver is turning to dust with no reasonable explanation. Brenna and Gray are forced to enlist the help of friend and foe to save the human race and stop an impending civil war, all while trying to come to terms with their relationship issues

What inspired you to tell Brenna’s story?

Brenna is one of my favorite characters to write. Her personality is so multi-faceted, you never know how she will react in any given situation. The thing I love the most about Brenna is that she is a survivor. Her life up until this point has been hellish at best, yet she’s managed to keep moving forward. Brenna deserves a happy ending, and I can’t wait to give it to her.


Can you explain what a Shadow Bearer is?

A Shadow Bearer is a magical being that lives in an alternate reality attached to Earth through a portal in the Veil between worlds. They are called Shadow Bearers because of the power they hold in the shadow realm between life and death.  A Shadow Bearer’s magic is fueled by their blood (i.e. their blood works like a magical battery). If they use a substantial amount of magic, they have to refuel.  This can be done through a blood exchange with another Shadow Bearer, or, over time, their blood will refuel itself. 


Your story is very intricate in its world building. What inspired that? Do you rely on pictures/images to help build your worlds?

The world building evolved out of my fascination with the idea that there could be worlds existing within worlds, or different planes of reality co-existing at the same time. One night my husband I sat down and fleshed out the idea with a series of what ifs. From that the idea was born of having a massive war on Earth that caused so much damage it ripped open the only barrier separating us from the other planes of existence. I took the idea and ran with it. 

I love using pictures to help with world building. I have a Pinterest Board (Note: Her boards are beautiful! Pinners, follow her!) for each book filled with pictures I’ve used to help visualize the world I’m building. Some are nothing like the world I’m trying to portray, they just spark the creative juice I need get the descriptions going.

My favorite scenes to write are fight scenes, and often I get up off my butt and act out the moves to help me get it on paper. How do you approach yours?

I’m right there with you. I LOVE to write fight scenes. In fact, I usually have to cut four or five before I finalize my manuscript because they’ve overwhelmed the plot. I’ve never tried to act out the moves (though I may now). I just visual the fight in my head as I’m writing it, trying to make sure the moves are physically possible. 

Now that Fading Light is released, what’s next for you?

Piercing the Darkness, the next Shadow Born book, will be coming out next spring. I also have a secret project that I’m hoping to announce soon *fingers crossed*

Do you have any writing rituals?

I wish. Once upon a time, I had quite a few. Now that I have a toddler, I just grab my computer, a pad of paper, anything really, and try to utilize any random free time.

Where is your favorite place to write?

My perfect writing spot would be outside on my deck. It would be Fall, the leaves would be rustling in the background, and I’d have a piping hot cup of coffee on the table in front of me. 

What inspires you to write? 

Life. I always wanted to be a writer, but a few years ago I stopped writing. Then my son was born, and he kicked my life into perspective. He has a host of special needs, but, despite that, he is the happiest, most joyful person I’ve ever met. He’s made me realize that we only get one chance at this life, and it’s too short not to take pleasure in the things we love. And, for me, writing is what makes me happy, so that’s what I do.

What 5 books are on your bookshelf right now?
Wow. I only get five! Well, I just finished A Hot Zone the new Jayne Castle book, which was awesome. Up next in the TBR pile are When Beauty Tamed the Beast by Eloisa James, City of Souls by Vicki Pettersson (Note: This may end up in my TBR pile too!), Magic Breaks by Ilona Andrews, and Shattered by Kevin Hearne.

What do you recommend people see/read/hear?


If you’re a move goer, definitely see Guardians of the Galaxy. It’s been a long time since I’ve enjoyed a movie that much. I LOVED it. Book wise, if you love Urban Fantasy like I do, definitely check out Kim Harrison. The last book in the Hollows series comes out soon, and I’ve never been so sad to see a series end. I almost don’t want to read it. (Note: Me too!

No comments:

Post a Comment